Who I am
Just call me Alex! I'm a Baltimore native who is passionate about design, psychology, culture, and social good. I've also been told I was a comedian in another life. Welcome to my ePortfolio! I'm thrilled to (virtually) meet you.
In 2018 I completed my Master's of Science degree in Consumer & Design Sciences at Auburn University, where I studied consumer behavior with a focus on how customers psychologically react to the design of a product. I also explored how combinations of specific visual cues influence brand personality perceptions.
In the iconic ad campaign for Nike Air Jordan in the '80s, Mars Blackmon badgers Mike because he believes "it's gotta be the shoes." This was the inspiration behind my graduate research. Is it really true that "when you look good, you play good"? Can we link the design of our shoes to improving our athletic performance? Turns out, this might actually be the case!
Below are some examples of my experience and research:
Basketball shoe product design and perceived performance enablement
Design elements influencing consumer delight
Kansei engineering methods for design
Plus-size women's activewear design preferences
Brand personality perceptions through visual cues in brand generated content
Consumer decision-making with online intelligent agents
Click through some of the images below to get a better idea of the research I worked on while at Auburn!
While I love a good CV, I am a firm believer that a person cannot be judged by a sheet of paper. I hope my experience will encourage you to get to know me in person!
Aug 2017 to current
Aug 2016 to current
Men's Merchandising Manager
March to Aug 2016
Luxury Sales Associate
Sept 2012 to March 2016
May to July 2015
Hey Hey Gorgeous
Nov 2013 to Nov 2014
M.S. Consumer & Design Sciences
Fall 2016 to Spring 2018
B.S. Retail & Consumer Sciences
University of Tennessee
Fall 2011 to Fall 2015
National Science Foundation Mobile Decision Aids (MODA) Project: Fall 2017 - Present
Graduate Research Assistant (Principal Investigator: Dr. Veena Chattaraman)
Multi-study project focusing on using decision making theories to assist consumers in making ideal purchasing decisions via their mobile devices
Assist faculty researchers from Auburn University and the University of Florida with publications/presentations and mobile application testing
Apparel Branding Course Project: “Brand Personality on Instagram: The Impact of Brand Generated Content on Perceived Brand Personalities”, Fall 2017
- Mixed-methods survey research using quantitative and qualitative content analysis to explore how consumers associate creative characteristics portrayed in BGC on Instagram with brand personality across multiple product and service categories
Undergraduate Research: Rocky Top Brand Extension, Fall 2015
- Qualitative research project using multiple focus group interviews to explore student and non-student consumer perceptions related to a potential brand extension into a new market
Graduate Course Papers & Proposals
- “Brand Personality on Instagram: The Impact of Brand Generated Content on Perceived Brand Personalities”
“Basketball Aesthetics and Perceived Performance”
“Influence of Body Shape and Cathexis of Plus-Size Women on Activewear Design Preferences”
“Attitudes and Preferences for Wearable Technology Accessories”
“The Transition of Basketball Sneakers from Performance Gear to Fashion Statement”
Awards, Honors, & Service
- The Honor Society of Pi Kappa Phi (Upper 10% of class), Spring 2018 - current
- International Textiles and Apparel Association Member, Spring 2017 - current
- Finalist: Auburn University Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition, Fall 2017
- First Place: Target Corporation Retail Strategy Competition, Fall 2015
- Fashion & Compassion (fashion nonprofit trip to Uganda), October 2014
I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to message me using the form to the right, or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.